
Aaah. October. A very special time of year. A time of waiting. To commemorate this time of year, I thought I would discuss a few of those wonderful events that we wait for every year. Events that only grace our presence once a year. One such event is the Fair. In October the Coastal Carolina Fair makes it annual pilgrimage to Charleston. As a frequent driver on Highway I-26, I have witnessed the endless train of Corn Dog trailers, folded up Ferris wheels, and a legion of "Carny Folk" like none have ever seen. Nothing heralds the arrival of Fall more than an a fried elephant ear, a ride on "The Zipper" and a picture of your favorite loved one airbrushed on an XXL T-shirt.
It is also a time of seasonal change. The leaves change color and fall off the tree. The finely manicured lawns of modern suburbia take a well deserved hibernation, freeing their caretakers from weekends of grass clippings and enhaled dust.
As October nears it's end, ghost and goblins make their presence known on the front doors and lawns of America. Children anxiously await Halloween, that magical time of year when they get to dress up like their favorite monster or favorite hero and eat enough candy to kill a middle aged man. Ah. Truly magical.
This time of year I follow a tradition inspired by Charles Schultz' classic "Peanuts" comic strip and cartoon. I wait in the pumpkin patch at Boone Hall and await the arrival of the Great Pumpkin. Each year the Great Pumpkin brings candy coated happiness to children all over the world.
It seems that this year, my tradition may be altered. As you can see from the picture below, it appears that Great Pumpkin will no be making an appearance this year as it seems Emily has EATEN THE GREAT PUMPKIN!!!!
Either that or she's REALLY pregnant and due to have a baby any day now. A baby of unknown gender. A mystery to all, including the parents. A baby due on Nov 3rd, or as Emily's doctor said yesterday: "Get your bag packed because it could arrive tomorrow or in three weeks!"
Since the Great Pumpkin will not be making an appearance this year, I thought I would provide a gift for our readers. While it may not compare to the feeling of consuming a full bag of candy corn, it should make some of you smile. Emily and I have decided to reveal our name choices for either a boy or girl. We have kept these names very close to our chest for some time now, but with an economy that makes grown men cry and question whether a pile of used scratch off lottery tickets (One of these days I am going to win!) may replace the traditional turkey dinner, we hope to bring some joy to the world with this secret.
If we are blessed with a boy we would name him Archibald Furtwangler Shortridge.
And we are graced with a lovely girl, we would name her Sunflower Dreamstar Shortridge. I hope you are all pleased.
Keep in touch, we hope to see Sunflower or Archibald any day now.
It is also a time of seasonal change. The leaves change color and fall off the tree. The finely manicured lawns of modern suburbia take a well deserved hibernation, freeing their caretakers from weekends of grass clippings and enhaled dust.
As October nears it's end, ghost and goblins make their presence known on the front doors and lawns of America. Children anxiously await Halloween, that magical time of year when they get to dress up like their favorite monster or favorite hero and eat enough candy to kill a middle aged man. Ah. Truly magical.
This time of year I follow a tradition inspired by Charles Schultz' classic "Peanuts" comic strip and cartoon. I wait in the pumpkin patch at Boone Hall and await the arrival of the Great Pumpkin. Each year the Great Pumpkin brings candy coated happiness to children all over the world.
It seems that this year, my tradition may be altered. As you can see from the picture below, it appears that Great Pumpkin will no be making an appearance this year as it seems Emily has EATEN THE GREAT PUMPKIN!!!!
Either that or she's REALLY pregnant and due to have a baby any day now. A baby of unknown gender. A mystery to all, including the parents. A baby due on Nov 3rd, or as Emily's doctor said yesterday: "Get your bag packed because it could arrive tomorrow or in three weeks!"
Since the Great Pumpkin will not be making an appearance this year, I thought I would provide a gift for our readers. While it may not compare to the feeling of consuming a full bag of candy corn, it should make some of you smile. Emily and I have decided to reveal our name choices for either a boy or girl. We have kept these names very close to our chest for some time now, but with an economy that makes grown men cry and question whether a pile of used scratch off lottery tickets (One of these days I am going to win!) may replace the traditional turkey dinner, we hope to bring some joy to the world with this secret.
If we are blessed with a boy we would name him Archibald Furtwangler Shortridge.
And we are graced with a lovely girl, we would name her Sunflower Dreamstar Shortridge. I hope you are all pleased.
Keep in touch, we hope to see Sunflower or Archibald any day now.
No comments:
Post a Comment