Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Anybody Else Hear That?

What is that sound? Anybody else hear that? Emily and I are sitting in the house right now and it's really QUIET! Well, at least for the next two days anyway.

Emily spoke with her doctor today and it was decided that she will be induced Friday morning at 6:45AM. That's right 6:45. Not 6am or 630, but 6:40. Honestly, who schedules these things? That seems like sort of a strange time for such a momentous occasion. Why can't they induce her at High Noon or Midnight? That seems more fitting for child such as ours. 6:45? I demand a rescheduling for 11:11AM!

So here I am, announcing the birth date of my future child on the Internet, on a blog for crying out loud. I thought blogs were for failed writers and teenagers who want to tell everyone else what music to listen to and what clothes to wear. I almost feel like I am cheating my future child by announcing the day (or weekend) of it's birth on something as mundane as a blog.

This sort of announcement seems to be more fitting to be yodelled out over the Appalachian Mountain Range or announced at midnight on the beaches of Sullivan's Island, followed by a loud bellow from a hundred year old conch shell horn.

I wonder what people will say when they see my child for the first time? Will they be at a loss for words at the sheer beauty of this child? Will they be compelled to write poetry or serenade our newborn with folk music? When I was born, my Mom showed me to my Aunt Bonnie and asked her what she thought. My Aunt took one look at my newborn face and responded: "Oh, I don't know if I want one of those. He looks sort of like a frog." That might explain why Kermit was always my favorite Muppet.

Should I buy a full page ad in the Post & Courier to advertise this future event? People might confuse my child's birth with a "Going Out of Business Sale" at a local furniture outlet or an ad for a politician (Ugh!)

Maybe I am looking at this the wrong way. Sometimes the greatest things in life do not need any fanfare, no formal introduction. No one needs to warm up a crowd to truly enjoy the rising of the Sun each morning. It's creates it's own applause just by existing. For that matter, the greatest people in the world really don't need an introduction either. Remember, no one talked about Elvis when he entered the building, it was always his exit that created the greatest stir. (Hmm. Elvis is a good name isn't it? Or maybe Elvira? - I need to write those down.)

Emily and I are both very excited to meet our child and can't wait to share him or her with you. For now we will enjoy the silence just a little longer, but if you hear the sound of someone blowing a conch shell horn in the distance you'll know what that means...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I've been thinking about you THREE a lot today, and I'm so excited to know that baby Shortridge will arrive on Friday! Another little froglet in the Shortridge family.

It is true that Alex started out looking dubious at first, but prettied up quickly.

I'm fairly satisfied with my granddog Loki and the Shortridges are providing some human grandnieces, thus far. Thanks!

Hang in there Emily! About 36 hours to go!!

Aunt Bonnie