Thanksgiving. That special day of the year that we set aside to remember the things we are thankful for and then furiously gorge ourselves on turkey and stuffing until we pass out. Is that what Thanksgiving is really about? Saying a nice prayer and then diving headfirst into a plate of mashed potatoes? Maybe for some, but not all.
A few weeks ago, my parents and I took Ella to the Coastal Carolina Fair. As I walked along the fairways and looked at the people around me I found myself often staring at people and wondering who they were and how they lived. That's really why I like going to the Fair every year. It's an opportunity to peer into the lives and challenges of the common man. I was reminded of the things I should be thankful for. I was reminded of the things I have that so many of the other people at the fair did not, in many cases that was a full set of teeth, but there's something more to learned than the benefits of good dental hygiene. In this current economy there are a lot of people who are in need. I hope that on this special day, everyone took the time to step back and appreciate what we have.
This Thanksgiving we spent the day at my Uncle Jay and Aunt Bonnie Stabler's farm, Flagtail Farms, located in the sprawling Metropolis of life known as Ehrhardt, SC. For those of you that aren't familiar with Ehrhardt, it's near Bamberg, SC. For those of you that aren't familiar with Bamberg, it's near Ehrhardt, SC.
Emily and I packed up our new Honda Pilot with Ella, Graham and apparently half of the stock of our local Babies R Us and headed on down the road. Graham was perfect, sleeping the whole ride up and enjoying his time with his great Aunts and Uncle.
Yes, we have a new car folks, but only because my Ford Explorer died last week. My car was much like a typical American student, overweight, under performing and a bit obnoxious, easily outmatched by it's more efficient, leaner, smarter, Japanese competitor.
This year we were joined by my Mom and Dad, Aunt Bonnie, Uncle Jay, my Aunt Claire and cousin Dow. It was a gorgeous day at the farm. Graham seemed to feel quite at home there among the deer antlers and pine trees. Perhaps we will finally have a hunter in the Shortridge Family.
Graham wishes you all well and promises that his father will start writing the blog again much more often. It takes some time to find the balance with a new bundle of joy in the house and as you can see, I'm usually a bit tired at the end of the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment